Saturday, October 10, 2009

The line

I enjoy my work, I really do. People always get a chuckle when they ask if I like my job, to which I reply, "I love my work. I've been applying around for a new job." Which I only kinda have been - I call it passively looking. I'll get on monster or craigslist and see if there's anything really cool, and apply for those. These are few and far between, but since I have a job, I get to be picky.

That said, I came across an uncomfortable situation at work. We've all been excited about using social networking sites to further our marketing position. The great thing about these sites is they're free, hence the millions of people that use them. I was happy to create the corporation's facebook page, which we use for hiring and whatnot. But the boss decided that he wanted a page for every entity in the corporation. Fine. Not too hard. Once those were up, the idea was that we would all become fans (not a problem, I'm a fan of our restaurants. Actually, I only became a fan of one to show that I had received the invites. I don't like having too many fan pages. If I'm a fan of something on facebook, I'm REALLY a fan, otherwise I don't care to load everybody else's facebook timeline with inane chatter), and then invite all our friends to become fans. Whoa, wait, that's not kosher.

I probably stated it a little strong. As everyone in the department was going around sending invites to all of their friends, the boss asked if I had done so yet. I was feeling a little annoyed at the idea, so I had (too much) time to think about what I was going to reply when I hadn't sent invites yet. No, I'm afraid that I won't be sending invites. Why? "I don't feel that my social life is a marketing venue". Yeah, a little strong. Awkward silence. Of course I was right, most everyone would agree that there's an ethical line there. I know that those there were thinking of ways to justify the action to make me reconsider. Anyhow, I think I'll be trying a little less passively to find a job. I still love what I do.

3 comments:

wendyberd said...

hey! you started posting again! welcome back!

Emily Carruth Fuller said...

I love reading your blog...

T.R. said...

Your poor boss knows that you're right.