Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Every Day (2)

Love is Every Day
Sorry, time to get a little cheesy
I hate 'chick flick movies' where some guy sweeps some girl off her feet just as she's about to get married. Let's list a few:
  • Sleepless in Seattle
  • Runaway Bride
  • Sweet Home Alabama
  • The Notebook
  • The Wedding Planner
  • The Wedding Singer (ok, not entirely a chick flick)
  • Meet Joe Black
  • Serendipity
  • On and on and on
How are these romantic? It's not the guy sweeping the girl that's the problem for me, sure that'd be great for any of us. It's the engagement part, and one reason I see that people can quickly get in over their heads with what they think is a textbook movie romance (a paradox, I realize - 'textbook movie'?).

For me, love is every day. It's more than a heart fluttering impression. I guess my hope would be that anyone who gets married has an idea of what every day with the other person is going to be like. Say, pick day 1,206 of their marriage and let them ponder that. Love doesn't come in spurts, although it can be more concentrated at moments. And it isn't intense elation to accompany every moment. Sometimes it's just holding on to everyday with someone. And, I'm sure, that just like happiness, you have to work everyday to maintain it, it isn't just a given that love will endure forever. If happiness didn't fade I wouldn't have to work at it. But just like maintaining happiness is necessary at times and redundant at others, the reward of proper maintenance far outweighs the cost of time and effort.

Doesn't that make my outlook a little ... pessimistic? As Maybe F√ľnke would challenge, "Marry me!"

No comments: